Thursday, October 20, 2005

Feeling 'Disjointed'

Things were going pretty well this week until today.

First, I forgot to bring my lunch and water so I spent the day running to the drinking fountain at each break and had to buy lunch from the vending machine. Poptarts and TGI Friday's potato skins chips are tasty but not exactly filling.

The real trouble occurred during the morning mountain run. I was almost to the bottom of a steep decline when my foot landed funny on a rock causing my ankle to roll and sending me face first into the rocky trail. I broke the fall with my hands but then felt a sharp pain in my right ring finger. I held up my hand to inspect the injury and saw what used to be a straight finger distorted into a crooked shape like a small zig zag. Judging from the unnatural kink at the middle joint of the finger, I was sure it was broken. I quickly yanked my finger outward and felt the bone 'pop' back into place. It turns out I had only dislocated the joint instead of breaking any bones. It's been sore all day (along with my ankle) but it is already feeling better. Luckily, we don't have any scheduled exercise until Monday so hopefully three days of rest will be enough to recover.

The guy behind me also hurt his ankle on the way down. I heard a sickening pop followed by scream of pain. Based on how loud the popping noise was, I was sure he had broken it. Luckily, he was able to limp down the mountain and was able to walk on his own the rest of the day. It's probably just a bad sprain so we're all hoping he'll be ready to run on Monday. We are allowed to miss only 5 exercise sessions before being dismissed from the academy.

We almost lost another recruit today due to test failures. He failed one of the tests on Monday and had to retake it on Wednesday (if you fail the same test twice, you are dismissed). He failed the re-take but there were some questions on the test that were never covered by the instructor of our class. After some deliberation, one of the questions on the test was overturned which allowed him to pass. He is the youngest person in the class (20 years old) and was really going to be missed.

Thanks again for all of your comments. I like knowing that others are following my progress.

5 Comments:

At October 20, 2005 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Injuries are tough. Good work recovering. R&R this weekend good idea. Lunch, at least you bought locally. I think TGI stuff is made by Poore Brothers. Offer still stand. Props to your wife. Howie and Molly

 
At October 21, 2005 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary now I need to see you in person to see for myself that you're okay.....Hang in there, love you, Mom

 
At October 23, 2005 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,

We really hope your are feeling better and that you have no more injuries. It is amazing that if you get hurt and miss too much you are out. Nice to know they are there for you when you get injured, huh? Remember that you only have to finish the exercises. You don't have to be the fastest, just be the safest. Take care. We realy want you to be successful and we know that you are a shoe-in on academics. And, you are in excellent shape. You may not be 20, but you are in better physical shape than 90% of 20 year olds. Kiss all your girls for us. We love all of you. LC and BC

 
At October 24, 2005 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary - Responding to a Blog, I feel, well, published. Thx for the opportunity. Sorry about the pain from the downhill exercise. We all have bad days. All in all you are right at the head of your class, exactly where you want to be. Keep up the good work and momentum for your goal. Its always tough to be a newbie, in any job. Esp. one that sounds, well, military!

Remember, NRDC is counting on your continued support. :) TC

 
At October 25, 2005 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness, you did not break your finger. I am sure the pain was just as bad, judging by the picture. I hope it is feeling better, and I also hope that is the only injury you will encounter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home