Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Status Quo

Things are going well so far this week. Our class seems to be emerging from the punishment phase into one of positive reinforcement. Our sergeant praised us a few times and things seem to have lightened up (knock on wood). After our morning runs, we even got permission to cool-down on the soft, dry track instead of in the wet, muddy grass.

Monday was our 3rd block of tests. Nobody failed this time around but several recruits passed by only one question. I scored a 94 out of 95 and am still ranked at the top of the class academically. Some of my other classmates are beginning to pass me up, however, on the physical fitness. I started the academy in pretty good shape and have improved slightly while many of the younger members were not quite as fit but have made much bigger improvements. We now spend four days a week running for an hour up and down hiking trails (with short breaks to do pushups, situps and jumping jacks). Luckily, the overall fitness ranking takes age into consideration so that will benefit the older recruits like me.

During this morning's dress inspection, while standing motionless at attention, the sergeant and I had the following exchange:
sgt: "Good morning"
me: "SIR, good morning, SIR"
sgt: "Recruit; I've heard about you."
me: "Sir???"
sgt: "I've heard about you. I have an inside source."
(At this point I became nervous since I had no idea what he was talking about. I kept silent for a few moments since I didn't want to ask what he meant.)
sgt: "Don't worry, Recruit, it's not bad. You're doing great. Keep up the good work."

I'm still not sure what he was referring to and the rest of the class was puzzled since nobody has received any kind of individual praise yet. I keep thinking this must be some kind of test since we've been instructed to perform as a team (and not as individuals).

The rest of the week will be spendt learing: how to write reports, communication systems, narcotics, and more criminal law.

5 Comments:

At October 19, 2005 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubba, I'm so flippin' proud of you, it brings a tear to my eye....maybe the "inside source" is Scott Keene. He said your sgt may be his good friend. Call Kim and Scott and find out. Love Mom

 
At October 19, 2005 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gary!
I have to say it is an incredible feat you are achieving! Just reading all the entries on the physical challenge, or shall I say abuse, is amazing. Not to mention the idea of going home afterwards to put in hours of studying. You’ve got some guts and perseverance. It sounds like you are doing an awesome job! Hopefully it will start to turn around now. Let us know if you guys need anything, we would be glad to help.
David R. (Deb, Kayla, Shawna and Jacob)

 
At October 25, 2005 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced mom went down to the academy, with her famous lemon bars, and told your seargent how special you are... I mean really, what else could it be???
Just kidding, you are doing great !

I sure am proud.
Ronda, Doug, and Emmy

 
At October 25, 2005 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced mom went down to the academy, with her famous lemon bars, and told your seargent how special you are... I mean really, what else could it be???
Just kidding, you are doing great !

I sure am proud.
Ronda, Doug, and Emmy

 
At October 25, 2005 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced mom went down to the academy, with her famous lemon bars, and told your seargent how special you are... I mean really, what else could it be???
Just kidding, you are doing great !

I sure am proud.
Ronda, Doug, and Emmy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home