Sunday, September 25, 2005

Fight for your life

Friday will be a day to remember;

After watching a video of a female trooper being beat nearly to death, we were instructed to fight one another. In full headgear, boxing gloves, and body pads, we had to sprint 100 yards, race up and down a flight of stairs, drop to the ground for 50 pushups and then immediately box from our knees. I was matched up with a slightly more muscular version of myself (about 10 years younger). I landed a few good blows but received a few back that rattled my skull. We fought for a minute straight which felt more like an hour since we had to fight will all of our energy. I had trouble breathing through my mouthpiece and thought I would suffocate in my claustrophobic headgear. I have never been more exhausted in my life; it made my last marathon feel like a easy jog around the block.

We were not being tested on skill or technique, but rather, the ability to not give up under extreme exhaustion. Some recruits covered up or tried to avoid their opponent (which was met with great displeasure from our sergeant). I expect that some of the class members will think twice about returning after realizing the potential for having to actually fight a resistant subject.

Monday will be the first block of exams so I've been studying all weekend. Scoring below 70% on any (3) tests during the entire 16-week schedule will result in dismissal from the academy so the stress levels are really starting to rev up.

Well, it's back to studying for me (I've already polished my boots, ironed my uniform, and packed my gear for tomorrow). My wife, Vicki has been extremely busy handling the kids, house, and helping me with my chores. I don't know how any of the single recruits in my class are able to manage it alone.

Thanks for all of your comments; it adds extra motivation knowing that so many of you are following my progress. If you're unsure how to do this: just click the 'comments' link at the bottom of the most recent post (you don't need to register for anything to leave a comment.)

2 Comments:

At September 25, 2005 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, your made of much better stuff than me. (Sharon) We are so in thought about you. Started to call a couple of times but your dad knows how busy and tired you are and said. we better let them be. Your dad said at the Sherrifs accademy they had to run in cowboy boots. Your Dad said it was hard work, he's glad he did it, but was sure glad when the academy was over, its very hard. Vicki and you and girls are always in our prayers and thoughts. You've taken on an awsome task. Call if we can be of any assistance to either of you.
Love ya Sharon and Dad too.

 
At September 26, 2005 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you had to fight on your knees. I am proud that an exercise of such magnitude did not intimidate you. If anyone can do this, it is you. Keep up the great work.

Love,
Ronda, Doug, and Emmy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home