Monday, October 24, 2005

Another Test, Another Casualty

We lost one of our favorite classmates today as a result of her failing her third test. This was especially upsetting since she asked me to help her study for this week's criminal law exam. I met with her and some others at the library over the weekend in an attempt to clarify the differences between burglary, robbery, theft, fraud, extortion, bribery and other offenses. I could tell she was struggling to take it all in but I had hoped she would pull through. Unfortunately, she missed one question too many so today was her last day. It was a tearful goodbye in the parking lot after class as we all wished her luck.

We had a morning of easy running through the cotton fields followed by some sprints on the canal bank. This was a welcomed reprieve from the normal mountain trails since so many of us are nursing sore ankles, knees, and hips. I'm sure we'll be back on the mountain tomorrow for the usual battery of joints and ligaments.

The rest of the day was dedicated to learning about death investigations. We were shown some graphic photos of stabbings, shootings, and hangings and learned about other causes and manners of death. The rest of the week will be spent learning about traffic law (which, you might guess, could turn out to be quite low on the excitement scale.)

I'm happy to report that my finger has almost returned to its normal color. I still can't bend it all the way down and it's a bit swollen but it should be fine in a few days. For those of you that would like a visual, see the picture below; can you tell which one I'm talking about? (for an even better look, click on the picture to enlarge).

3 Comments:

At October 24, 2005 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Why would you think that your finger was not broken? Remember how my pinkie looks after thinking it was sprained back in 1955. Mom

 
At October 25, 2005 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your finger is feeling beeter. It still looks a bit creepy. I am sorry to hear about your friend not making it. That must be tough. We are very proud at how well you are doing. We all brag about you. You should have heard mom this weekend, bragging to her friends... Once again, you have made your family proud. I know it won't be the last time.
Keep doing what you are doing.
Love,
Ronda, Doug and Emmy

 
At October 27, 2005 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,

I enjoy reading your posts. I am so glad that you are doing a great and the finger will look better soon. Keep up the hard work.

Kim, Fernando and boys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home