Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not Again



Another one of my colleagues has lost his life. Officer Nick Erfle was shot and killed this morning while trying to arrest a man with an outstanding misdemeanor warrant.


Nick worked out of my police station and I've met up with him on several occasions at various scenes. He and his partner stopped three people for jaywalking and discovered one of them had an outstanding warrant. He attempted to take the man into custody when a struggle ensued and Nick was shot in the head. The suspect fled on foot and then hijacked a car -forcing the driver to speed away from the scene as he sat in the passenger seat. Nick's partner was unable to return fire due to numerous innocent citizens downrange.


Thankfully, a witness was able to get the fleeing car's license plate and the hunt was on. An hour later, the car was spotted by an undercover officer. With the helicopter overhead, several SWAT members in unmarked vehicles converged on the suspect and his hostage driver. They boxed the car in and shot and killed the shooter when he raised his gun. This coward will never have the chance to 'brag' about his cop-killing to his gangster friends. The driver was unharmed.


I listened to the whole thing unfold on my radio while at home on my day off. I've been numb all day and can't believe another young life has been taken by a pathetic criminal. It has only been a few weeks since Shaggy died and now we're preparing for another funeral. Tragically, like Officer George Cortez , he is leaving behind a wife and two young kids.


I'm sickened over the increasing frequency and seriousness of violent crimes. Gangs, drugs, and apathy seem to have taken a foothold on a growing segment of today's population. I don't know what the answer to this is but something has got to be done. Thank God I live in a city where citizens cooperate with police by willingly providing information and giving support. Without their help, we'd have a hell of a time solving crimes and catching those responsible.

Thank you, Nick, for your service and sacrifice. I know you'll be looking down on us along with George and Jonathan. Please let this be the last time I have to write this kind of entry.

17 Comments:

At September 19, 2007 6:58 AM, Blogger Flash Gordon said...

This is really horrible. Two officers from the same department and a third from the area in a year. May God bestow his grace where it is so needed.

I visit your city regularly, for over 20 years, and remember what a safe place it used to be. Looking for an address about a year ago I found myself in a neighborhood with all the sights and sounds of danger in the air. Until then, I wasn't aware of these new circumstances.

We wonder what has happened? An additional fact might offer some explanation. The murderous cretin was, until he was rightfully sent to his punishment in hell, an illegal alien who had been deported last year [as reported in the newspaper].

 
At September 19, 2007 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary - He and his family are members of my church - Unitarian Universalist Church of Phoenix. Very upsetting. YOU be careful out there! Toni

 
At September 19, 2007 10:46 AM, Blogger Constance said...

Oh, Gary, how sad, how sad, how senseless and sad....

I am glad that the asswipe was killed, but it doesn't fix it, oh no, it doesn't fix it...

That poor man. ah, his wife, his kids...He died doing what he believed in, but god what a waste of a good life.

Loving Annie

 
At September 19, 2007 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=19001

 
At September 19, 2007 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,
I am so sorry for the loss of your fellow officer. We are so concerned with your safety. The boys keep asking about you to make sure you are safe. Be careful out there, many people are crazy and dangerous.

Kim, Fernando and boys

 
At September 19, 2007 1:52 PM, Blogger 5150Wife said...

After reading your post, I went and hugged my JD. Held him for a while. Just like I did after reading about Shaggy.
Now I come back to comment and I still don't know what to say. "I'm sorry" just doesn't seem to be enough.
Please stay safe.

K-

 
At September 19, 2007 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LODD are up a staggering amount this year. It's not supposed to be like this.

 
At September 19, 2007 6:23 PM, Blogger Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I just googled your Officer Erfle.

May God bring His blessings to Officer Erfle's family. He is at God's side, watching over you all.

My sympathies.

A regular reader in Houston

 
At September 19, 2007 9:14 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I am so sorry.

Officer Erfle family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At September 19, 2007 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there man!

 
At September 20, 2007 3:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Condolences to you and your department. You will honor Ofc. Erfle by doing what he sacrificed his life for, continuing to serve and protect. God Bless you all, and be with you in this tragic time.

 
At September 20, 2007 12:47 PM, Blogger SnapShawt said...

Godspeed officer, Godspeed.

 
At September 20, 2007 1:06 PM, Blogger Jason said...

My condolences. God will welcome him at the gate. Be careful out there no matter what kind of call you're dealing with.

 
At September 20, 2007 9:07 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your department's loss. Stay safe out there!

 
At September 20, 2007 10:13 PM, Blogger The Stuffed Squirrel said...

I am so saddened by your precinct's loss. It was a haunting feeling in 620 as we clustered around radios listening to what happened. So very sorry for the loss of another great officer.

 
At September 21, 2007 6:08 AM, Blogger Scott said...

This makes me sick to my stomach. Especially being a parent.

When I was single and living alone, I rode a motorcycle every day, getting in close calls every couple of months or so. Not even driving crazy, just going around a corner with a bit of gravel on the road, and feeling the tires slip just a little. When my first son was born, I parked it for good. I can't stand the thought of him growing up without a father.

I can't even begin to know what it must be like for Nick's family right now.

 
At October 24, 2007 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yMy heart goes out to the members of your department and Ofc. Erfle's family. We lost our first in over 20 years in July. Thankfully there won't be a trial for the scum bag murderer of your fine officer. Stay safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home