Saturday, September 08, 2007

Pack Rat

I know people who keep all kinds of weird things for no reason. My brother amassed an impressive collection of Big Gulp cups once that he kept in stacked towers in his bedroom. In my teens I had a few hundred 'New Times' newspapers tucked away in my closet. My brother and I were no match for this guy, however.


His small hatchback was so full of newspapers, coffee cups, plastic cup lids and straws there were barely room for him in the driver seat. The stick shift was hidden inside a small cove of stacked paper and the entire view through the windshield was blocked except for a small area above the steering wheel. If the passenger door was ever opened an avalanche of paper goods would pour out onto the ground.


He was stopped for the obvious hazard his internal load posed. If his little car was packed this full of items I wondered what the inside of his house looked like. I asked him if he collected things for his home too, and he told me his house was much fuller.


ANOTHER TYPICAL SHOOTING


"911 -what is your emergency?"


"I've been shot!!"


"What happened?"


"I don't know -I just got out of my car and someone shot me!!"


Several officers raced to the scene and found a man lying on the ground next to the driver's side door of his car. Blood poured from his right leg as he rolled around in pain. We quickly set up a perimeter and called for the helicopter. The victim told us he was alone in his car when he parked and got out. Then, he heard a gunshot and was hit in the leg.

His car was under a covered parking spot with vehicles parked on both sides of him. A wall of apartments surrounded the front and both sides of the parking lot. He did not see a shooter, nor did any of the several people who were outsided and heard the gunshot. We looked in his car and saw a single shell casing on the floor in front of the front passenger seat. Since all the windows were up the only way the bullet casing could get there would be if the gun was fired from inside the car. The victim insisted there was nobody with him in the car. There was blood on the driver's seat and inside the driver's door. It didn't take a detective to figure out he was shot from inside the car while he was sitting in the driver's seat. We then found a gun under the passenger seat.

Later, at the hospital, he admitted the obvious: He reached for the unholstered gun under the passenger seat and accidentally pulled the trigger when he grasped the handle. He was a prior convicted felon and was prohibited from having a firearm.

11 Comments:

At September 08, 2007 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, That car wasn't your sisters, was it? Sorry R. I couldn't resist. Keep up the good work.....Mom

 
At September 08, 2007 7:11 PM, Blogger OMH said...

Wow - I thought my daughter and her 3 kids kept too much trash in the car........You can at least get in and out of it without it exploding trash everywhere!

Gotta say I think mister Gun Shot victim got his Just Deserves!

 
At September 09, 2007 5:23 AM, Blogger Flash Gordon said...

Why did the felon with a gun deserve to be shot, oldmother........? Does anyone "deserve" to be shot?

Maybe you could just say he was stupid, careless, in violation of the law and paid a high price for it.

 
At September 09, 2007 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad police can not give prescriptions. I think the guy in the packed car might have OCD.
Howie

 
At September 10, 2007 9:05 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

I am humbled. My tiny briefcase could never compete with that car.

Not in my wildest dreams.

Tell the misses good luck.
Her next few weeks are going to be fun, so take good care of her.

Felon or not, it sucks to have to admit that you shot yourself.

 
At September 10, 2007 4:54 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Oh boy. Another brain surgeon creates his own karma.

 
At September 11, 2007 10:28 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Sooo had to "borrow" this pic for my blog! My hubby thinks our kids trash up our vehicles. Not even CLOSE!
As the years go by with your career I hope you are still able to keep your sense of humor. Be safe.


http://horchporch.blogspot.com/

 
At September 13, 2007 8:54 AM, Blogger Guilty Secret said...

Wow, there was a *lot* of stuff in that car. I would hate to see his house.

 
At September 14, 2007 8:33 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

For some reason I tend to hold onto empty boxes (but not in my car).

Is Gunshot Guy so dumb that he didn't think you'd figure it out? Never mind, of course he is.

 
At September 16, 2007 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay. It's not like you LEO aren't trained. I'd like to say it's unbelievable that he thought he could get away with that, but so many stupid people in this world . . .

 
At September 17, 2007 10:18 AM, Blogger Constance said...

Good Monday morning September 17th to you, Gary !
Hope that all is well -
Loving Annie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home