Saturday, September 29, 2007

Another Proud Moment

I had one of those days that solidified my decision to become a police officer. You know, the kind if prideful moments that define our character.

It all started when I chose keys for my daily patrol car only to find it dead in the parking lot with a drained battery. I charged it up from a portable terminal and headed towards a shoplifting call. When I was done with the call I returned to my car and found it dead again. A fellow officer came by to give me a jump start and I continued my shift.

We always carry two sets of keys so I decided to leave my car running at the next call. I got out, locked the door and handled a civil matter between a daughter and step father arguing.

I walked back to my running patrol car, inserted the key into the locked door, and was unable to move the key in either direction. I tried twisted, rotated, jiggled, and cranked the key in all directions using both soft and hard pressure. The door lock did not give. I tried the passenger door with equal disappointment. I realized my second key did not belong to this vehicle and the good key was in the ignition. I radiod my dispatcher to send a motorist-unit with a slim-jim but none was available.

I called my best friend who happened to live a few blocks away and asked him to bring wire coat hangers, pry bars, and screwdrivers. My friend arrived and started working on opening the passenger side door while I did my best on the driver's door. After a few minutes I was able to pull the door lever with my hanger and open the door. My friend and I then stood at back of my car and started chatting.

Out of nowhere, an undercover unit drove up. I thought he was stopping by to visit so I told him hello. He looked at me funny and said, "Are you all right?"
"Yeah, why?", I asked.
"Didn't you just hear the hot call on the radio for this location?"
"No" (getting alarmed) "What was it for?"
"Someone just called 911 about a guy in a red shirt breaking into a police car."
(My friend had a red shirt and was obviously the reason for the call)

Just then, another patrol car flew around the corner and raced over to where we were standing.
"What the hell's going on!?" he yelled.
"Just trying to get into my locked car", I replied.
"Don't you have you're radio on?"
"Yes, I just didn't hear the emergency call."
"Well, pay attention." he said and expressed his disgust by muttering a few obscenities as he drove off.

I then got on the radio and told my dispatcher everything was okay and it was only me breaking into my own car so no more units needed to come over.

For the rest of the night I had the pleasure of enduring the endless comments, jokes, and put-downs that flow so easily from the mouths of my fellow officers.






P.S. Tammy says, Hi:

14 Comments:

At October 02, 2007 6:25 PM, Blogger 5150Wife said...

Ok, so the smart alec side of me is thinking: Gee, with this and that pic on your profile, you sure are having a hard time with your units, don't you?

But the kinder, gentler side of me says: I'm sorry you had such a bad luck kind of day.

Nice of the citizen to call in the report of the attempted break-in. Funny, though, that they didn't see the uniformed officer on the other side of the vehicle also attempting a break-in.

:-)

K-

 
At October 03, 2007 4:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I swear we arrested Tammy on a ride along I went on!! She musta made it up here to Disfunctional City. Funny, she was doing the same thing in the back of our patrol car!

 
At October 03, 2007 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy.... or Tommy?

 
At October 03, 2007 10:30 AM, Blogger Craig D said...

"NO WIRE HANGERS!!!"

 
At October 03, 2007 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone say "Hi Tammy"

"HIIII TAAAMMMMYYY."

 
At October 03, 2007 3:04 PM, Blogger Constance said...

Gary,
some days you're the hero - and some days you're the goat. Baaaaaaaah :)

Loving Annie
(only on this one from now on)
www.yesilovethat.blogspot.com

 
At October 03, 2007 8:09 PM, Blogger Redroach said...

Pulled that trick when I was a pizza delivery monster.
Jumped out, locked the door, and delivered the pizza.
Got back to an idling car, keys in the ignition and it was pre cell phone days.

Had to beg a wire hanger from someone so I could get in the chevette.

Bad night.
Delivery drivers are hell on stupid people.

PS How is Tammy doing in the student teaching thing?

 
At October 06, 2007 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 07, 2007 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you got spammed, bro.

 
At October 09, 2007 9:16 AM, Blogger Jason said...

You never forget the first time you lock yourself out of your patrol car.

 
At October 10, 2007 10:38 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Oh that is just too funny! I know it was hell for you but it makes for a great story.

 
At October 16, 2007 1:24 PM, Blogger Constance said...

It's October 16th, Gary. Are you okay ?

 
At October 19, 2007 9:43 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

LOL, whoops. Tammy looks like a great woman, I met one similar to her this summer.

 
At October 24, 2007 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today and have enjoyed reading multiple posts. To avoid embarrassment, I've always cracked the window on my cruiser during traffic stops so I don't accidentally lock myself out. I had to unlock another officer's car years ago while he was on a stop. If it's raining, I roll down the passenger side. I'm adding you to my blog roll of frequently read sites. Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home