Friday, December 08, 2006

Name Calling

I've been called many things as a cop and I don't mean to shock you but; not all of them are nice. Most every cuss word has been bestowed upon me, most commonly with a pattern of caucaisan references such as 'whitepolicebitch', 'whiteassmotherfuc***', etc.

The other week, however, I was knighted with a new title, curteousy of young gangbanger type. He called me, "Hellaplayeriffic." I'm not certain of its exact meaning but his tone and smile implied it was pretty good. You will not hear this term in my vocabulary as I plan to keep it in reserve for very special moments. Until then, I walk the streets a more confident man knowing I'm more than a player, and more than terrific. In fact, I'm a hell of a terrific player.

Be Careful:
I've talked about wearing seatbelts in previous posts but thought I'd take a minute to send out an extra reminder this holiday season. If only the two people sitting in the open bed of the pickup truck that was t-boned last week were listening. One was ejected into the busy intersection and luckily was not seriously injured. The other somehow remained in the back of the truck without a bruise. I've seen many collisions and can only imagine how badly the collision could have turned out. Please don't rely on luck to keep you safe/alive -wear a seatbelt all the time.

Testify:
I attended court recently for a DUI case I handled as a trainee several months ago. A guy swerved across several lanes of traffic, jumped the sidewalk, and wedged his truck between a palm tree and a block wall. He said he was cut off by another driver. His blood alcohol concentration made me believe differently. When I entered the courtroom with my Field Training Officer and the witness who called 911, the defendent decided to waive the trial and plead guilty. There was another person in court for an unrelated DUI that morning that occured in 1999. Imagine our surprise when the officer handling the original DUI was not present for court. Even if he/she had attended, how much detail can one be expected to remember from seven years ago? There's something wrong with our justice system when extensive delays almost guarantee a dismissal.

My father-in-law came participated in the police ride-along program last week. It was a relatively slow night but he was able to see some of the things I do on the job. A few years ago he and I would watch 'Cops' on T.V. together and remark on what a crazy job that would be. At the time I wondered if I could be an actual police officer. Did I have what it takes to be a cop? I'm still just cracking the surface of this job but I love it and am glad I took the chance.

7 Comments:

At December 08, 2006 8:58 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

Just wait till they wipe a booger on you. Then you have hit the pinnacle.

Congrats on the new job title. I would put it on my business cards.

Officer Gary
Hellaplayeriffic

OH yeah, saw that PPD has caught the baseline killer, is that true?

 
At December 08, 2006 9:50 AM, Blogger *Goddess* said...

I don't how you guys can handle so much verbal abuse and not show any reaction. I guess it's like mothers and kids. After they throw so many tantrums, we don't even hear them anymore....

 
At December 08, 2006 11:39 AM, Blogger Officer Gary said...

TV - A suspect was caught some time ago and charged with sexual assault of two women. We've believed this guy was the Baseline killer but held off on charging him for those murders until evidence was processed. Incidentally, he lived in the middle of my patrol beat.

 
At December 08, 2006 6:29 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Nice name!

My Mom tried to teach me a lot of things and quite a few didn't stick. One thing that did was to always wear my seat belt. I don't even start my car until myself and anyone else in the car has buckled up.

 
At December 08, 2006 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Tell me who these bad guys are, that are calling you names, and I'll talk to their Mothers. Be safe and call your Mom sometime.

 
At December 11, 2006 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know I felt growing up, being called Ron-Duh.... that being said, I do not feel bad for you.

Love ya,
Your Sis.

 
At December 16, 2006 9:03 AM, Blogger JL said...

Gary;
I used to do cable TV disconnects in a failed steel town of about 30,000 people in the Midwest. At one point the city had five murders in four months. Knocking on doors was an entertainment. And yeah, now you've got me thinking about all the stuff people called me.
My favorite: The banger who called me the N-word.
I am white. When he said it I laughed so hard I almost fell over.

Worst day on the job? Well, let's see. Whose brilliant plan was it to send a big dumb white guy out to shut off cable in black neighborhoods on Martin Luther King Day?

Oh, for your information. Cable TV knows where everyone is. Believe me. People can live without cars, heat, jobs, or telephones. They will not live without TV. And cable knows where they are. When we were doing box retrievals one guy was a cop working part time. He ran the names on his list of subscribers with unreturned equipment. FORTY PERCENT of the names had outstanding warrants. He started feeding the locations to cops in neighboring communities and eventually got fired. Oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home