Saturday, November 25, 2006

Probity

pro‧bi‧ty [proh-bi-tee] -Integrity and uprightness; honesty.

I was stopped a traffic light and watched a transient stagger into a convenience store on the other side of the intersection. My spidy-sense kicked in so I crossed the intersection and pulled into the parking lot of the store and wait for him to come out. When he walks out a few minutes later, I was expecting to see a case of beer or a bottle of wine but he was empty handed. Then the cashier runs out the door pointing at him and yelling to me, "He stole a beer." I stopped Mr. Shoplifter, saw the 24 ounce can stiking out of his front pocket, and arrested him. Our district attorney will not prosecute for such an inexpensive item but wouldn't you know it: This upstanding citizen had 4 warrants and was wanted by detectives for violating his sex offender registration requirements and for skipping a court date for an aggravated assault charge. Another ne'er do good put away for the night.

The Integrity Award goes to:
The lady who called police after trying to make a deposit through her bank ATM and discovering $400 already sitting in the deposit bin. Apparently, the person using the ATM before her attempted to deposit the cash but didn't do it correctly. She told me she makes a few hundred dollars a week babysitting and couldn't stand the thought of some other hard-working person losing $400 during the holidays. It's refreshing to meet people with a strong sense of integrity and honesty.

The Lack-of-Integrity Award goes to:
The person who parked his/her car in the disabled parking space at the city's most upscale and expensive shopping square. What's worse is the person's sneaky attempt of hanging an expired handicap placard in the windshield. He/she probably thought the police don't check the expiration dates on these disability parking placards. Hopefully, the $200 citation will teach the person a little lesson in integrity. The placard in the car's window expired over a year ago and I wondered how many times Mr. Rulesdontapplytome or Ms. Imbetterthanyou got away with this shameful ploy.

Thank you, taxpayers;
For the catered Thanksgiving dinner you funded for the city police employees. The turkey sub sandwich, chips and salsa, and sugar cookie really hit the spot last night at the end of my shift. Next year, how about a glass of milk or a soda to wash it all down with?

4 Comments:

At November 25, 2006 9:07 AM, Blogger *Goddess* said...

A "turkey sub" is now considered a turkey dinner? Dang that's lame.

 
At November 25, 2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Max and Me said...

i just love your blog. i think you deserve a steak dinner!

 
At November 27, 2006 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I have to say is: the kind woman who reported the $400, better have some "good karma" coming her way.

Keep Safe, we love you.

Love,
The Hamaker's

 
At June 13, 2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would say I agree. However, I recently moved to Oklahoma from Florida and I had not found the time to update my handicapped placard. It expired in February and I received a ticket for using the permit when it was expired. I have severe back problems from an accident where a lady had run a red light and "t-boned" the vehicle I was riding in. I think in this case, a little "lee-way" should be given. I even still have a Florida tag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home