Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Holiday Lull

There was a noticeable drop in the amount of criminal activity last week. I attributed it to the holiday spirit of cheer and goodwill. A squadmate said, "I've always believed the cockroaches scurry from the cold." Yes, winter has finally arrived in the city. Those of you in other parts of the country will relate when I tell you it is cold here at night. It was in the low 60's last week and in the upper 50's on at least one night. I'm still wearing my short-sleeve uniform and now covet my bullet-proof vest for the warmth it provides and forgive it for the torturous dicomfort it afforded all summer. I've even modified my icy Diet Coke regiment into one of coffee.

I arrived at my precinct the other day and could hear the wall pounding thuds of a prisoner inside one of the holding cells. I entered the building and approached the holding area to see what the fuss was about. A woman in her twenties was in the cell screaming profanities, vollying murderous threats, and kicking madly at the door. She was already handcuffed to the concrete bench and had shed the towel that was provided to her for clothing. She was arrested earlier in the day for driving naked through the city, driving to an affluent mountainside neighborhood, and ramming her car through the gates of a $10 million medieval style castle. She crashed through another wall and tried to flee. She then punched an officer in the face as he tried to take her into custody. She was apparently on a crystal meth binge and was out of her mind. To top it off we learned she was the wife of a police officer. She told us his name and one of my squadmates knew him as they went through the police academy together. The husband-officer was called and told us he was in the process of divorcing her (I wonder why??).

She calmed down and was happy and pleasant while being transported to the county jail. Once inside the giant steel entry doors, however, she realized she was not be driven to a friend's house and again went ballistic. Several officers and jail detention officers were needed to get her booked and placed in a cell.

5 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 11:41 AM, Blogger *Goddess* said...

Lower 60's and upper 50's at night is "cold"??? Move to Pennsylvania and then we'll talk about cold...lol!

 
At November 29, 2006 2:53 PM, Blogger Redroach said...

Upper 60's? That is freakin freezin.

Welcome to the world of Meth. Aren't meth freaks wonderful?

The only redeeming feature about them is that a meth lab is very likely to blow up, incinerating the foolish meth freak in the process.

Does the PPD use tazers? They are all the rage here in Houston these days.

Seems like the perps prefer 9mm rounds to the body over a good old fashioned mood altering burst of Benjamin Franklin's Best ELECTRICITY tonic.

Can't imagine prefering a bullet.
Do tazers work on meth freaks?

 
At November 29, 2006 4:48 PM, Blogger Officer Gary said...

Goddess- I was in PA in October a few years ago and nearly died of frostbite walking from the car to the hotel.

TV - I haven't had the pleasure of using my Taser yet but hear from fellow officers it's quite effective. Even drug users are neutralized by a healthy dose of the 'Edison medicine.'

 
At December 04, 2006 8:53 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I'd have to wonder how long this woman had the meth problem and was it before or after she married the officer. A couple of years ago a drunk woman was stopped trying to leave a restaurant and she nutted up and fought with the extra job officer. Found out she was married to one of our guys who was called to come get her. Last I heard they were still together.

 
At December 04, 2006 11:49 AM, Blogger FroneAmy said...

Eek. I'm only vouching for the sane wives out there...I think we had a police chief's wife in the tri-state area who was busted for something very similar...if it wasn't crack it was heroin!
For what it's worth, I've never met any cop wives who were nutty in an illegal way. Nutty in a funny way, sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home