Monday, November 13, 2006

Happy Monday

For the employees of particular company, Monday will be a bad morning. On Sunday night, I responded to a call of an open door at a business complex. I arrived with a squadmate and checked the building. All the offices and employee cubicles were trashed. Papers, office supplies, and personal belongings were thrown all over the place. There were about 60 computers missing. The burglar(s) left the cheap monitors and carted out the $1100 harddrives. Each computer contained personal data for the company's clients including names, addresses, and social security numbers. The suspects took their time to go through every drawer and filing cabinet in the building. Due to the dollar amount of the theft and the sensitive nature of the material taken, detectives were called out to process the scene. This took almost the entire shift as each desk was photographed. The layout of the business reminded me of my prior job in a corporate office and I kept imagining what it would be like for dozens of employees to come to work and see the place ransacked.

I took photographs of a young man last night as evidence after he tested positive for Extreme DUI. This guy was driving home from a bar and collided with a motorcycle. The motorcyclist's leg was severed and he was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. The driver was charged with aggravated assault (which could be changed to manslaughter if the other guy dies.)

Later, I was getting coffee at a convenience store and found a drunk guy out front trying to unlock his car door with a coat hanger. He went inside to get a dring and locked the keys inside. He asked me to help him unlock his door so he could get home. He was stumbling around, slurring his speech and reeked of alcohol.
"Have you been drinking tonight?", I asked.
"Well, officer, I'm not gonna lie to you. I'm drunk."
"Do you think you are in any shape to be driving?"
"I'm only going across the street."
"I think you had better walk. If you get inside your vehicle, I'll arrest you for DUI."
"Okay, you're right. (pause) Hey, I thought you guys serve the public. Why don't you get me a slim jim and open my car door."
"I thought we agreed you were going to walk home."
"It's only across the street. I can drive"
"Goodnight."

3 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the real world....Did you miss all of this when you were in Ca? Keep on protecting us. Love, Mom

 
At November 18, 2006 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you never let this get to you. It would be very easy to lose faith in the human race.

 
At November 20, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Next time give him a new sobriety test. Ask him if Mickey Mouse is a dog or a cat and see what he says.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home