Monday, November 20, 2006

DUI

A 22 year old man learned from his girlfriend he was going to be a father. He wasn't ready for the news and decided to go to the bar and pound some beers and shots of tequila. Once he had his fill he got into his car, pulled out of the parking lot and caused a four-car collision.

I arrested him after performing some field sobriety tests and brought him to the station to be processed on the breathalyzer machine. I was not surprised when he blew a .250 (over three times the legal limit). The entire time he repeatedly informed me he was not drunk and, therefor, should be allowed to go home. "Please, officer. This is going to mess me up. Don't you agree? Well, then why don't you take me home. I promise I won't drive anymore."

Normally, he would receive citations and be released to a responsible party to take him home. But, one of my squadmates walked in and immediately recognized him. He arrested this same guy a month ago for causing a traffic collision while DUI.

Because of the prior DUI, his license restricted him to driving to work and school only. Since he was coming from the bar, his new DUI was elevated to Aggravated DUI. This is a class 4 felony and requires booking into the county jail. When I informed him he was being booked, his demeanor changed into Mr. Arrogant-KnowItAll-Sarcastic:
"You're not taking me to jail."
"Yes I am."
"I refuse to go to jail tonight."
"You don't have a choice."
"I know my rights and I am refusing to go to jail. I told you I'm not drunk."
"Well, the breathalyzer machine indicates your blood alcohol content is .250. The law defines impairment at .08."
"That's just your machine, I'm telling you I'm not drunk."
"You'll have a chance to present your defense to the judge once you're in jail."
"I'll beat this charge and be driving again when I get out."
"Good luck."

Once at the jail, he became a smart-ass and told the intake nurse he was suicidal thinking this would afford him some kind of special treatment. He was right: He was assigned to a 'safe cell' which requires the prisoner to be stripped nude and placed in a tiny, featureless room with rubber walls and a hole in the floor for a toilet. Enjoy your stay.

7 Comments:

At November 20, 2006 1:20 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Sounds like many of my people from my years on night shift. I loved it when someone told me they weren't going because he just gave me the green light to make his night a whole much worse. Besides, this idiot is only using the news of his upcoming fatherhood as an excuse. He sounds like a lousy, loser regardless. Screw him! Put him in jail and leave him there.

 
At November 20, 2006 7:59 PM, Blogger Max and Me said...

that does not look like fun. do any of the people you arrest show any remorse for the things they do?

 
At November 20, 2006 9:56 PM, Blogger Officer Gary said...

Meander,
Yes, some people I've arrested act completely embarassed and are quite apologetic. One 40 year old woman I arrested for shoplifting in front of her teenage daughter was especially remorseful. For the more serious crimes, however, most people don't seem to care at all (except about being caught).

 
At November 21, 2006 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully a stay in jail will be a "wake up" call for him. I hope even more the mother of his child realizes he is not the best father figure.

Keep safe.

We love you,
The Hamaker's

 
At November 22, 2006 11:03 PM, Blogger T. F. Stern said...

You reminded me of a fellow I'd stopped for running a red light. He then told me that the only reason he'd done it was that his brakes were no good, a lie he thought would keep him from getting a ticket. I explained that it was a good thing he'd been able to stop at all as I called for a wrecker to keep him from getting killed by driving an unsafe vehicle. He loved that; bet he works on a different lie next time.

 
At November 25, 2006 9:04 AM, Blogger *Goddess* said...

Do drunks EVER admit they're drunk? Seems like no matter how inebriated someone is they continue to deny it as if that's gonna change your mind.

 
At April 15, 2009 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to be a critic on this post. I do not see any good come from a "have a nice stay" remark like you have here. Those aflicted with alcoholisim have an illness. They should be treated like any sick person would be. Yes I am against DUI. I report them all the time. Nebraska State Patrol have a great arrest record. LPD has only gotten one out of two dozen of my reports. Please do not be offended by my remark. I am just offering constructive views.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home