Monday, September 11, 2006

Crash Day

Fridays have become known as 'crash day' in my squad as the number of wrecks seems to multiply at the end of each week. Maybe it's happy hours or people rushing to leave town; Whatever the reason it's becoming a mess.

Take for instance the nice mother getting ready to pick up her three young boys from school. She decided she'd make the ride home interesting for them so she drank a liter of Vodka and downed a couple Vicadin pills. Imagine the boys' delight as the car jumped the sidewalk and ploughed through grassy lawns and then crossed over to the other side of the street and tore through a chain link fence of a front yard while the residents sat on a bench a few feet away. Mom then puked on herself and tried to drive away. The car was hung up on a small tree and some landscaping bricks and was unable to move. Luckily the boys were in the backseat (to leave room on the front passenger seat for her bottle of licquor) and were not hurt. To add to the ridiculousness of it all, her 85 year old grandmother showed up and started yelling at us to let her precious granddaughter go. She told us it was no big deal and we shouldn't treat her like a criminal. Last time I checked, three counts of aggravated DUI, reckless driving, criminal damage, and child endangerment were considered 'crimes' in this state. She's lucky she didn't kill or seriously injure anyone.

Later, I pulled over a driver that almost merged into my patrol car from the tw0-way turn lane. I passed him and then watched him in my rear-view mirror almost merge into the next two cars driving behind me. He was not a US citizen and did not have a driver license, insurance, or valid ID. I arrested him and brought him to the station to get fingerprints and a photo. I issued him tickets for no driver license, no ID, and no insurance and explained he was not allowed to drive in Arizona. He walked two miles back to where his car was parked, got in, merged into traffic without yielding and caused an accident. He then tried to drive away but one of the wheels was crushed. He tried to run away but was caught by one of my squadmates. He was arrested again and issued tickets for: no license, no ID, no insurance, leaving the scene of an accident, and failure to yield. His car was impounded and he was sent to jail.

5 Comments:

At September 11, 2006 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! You really have to be careful of those undocumented Swedes in this area. Good job, Officer.

 
At September 13, 2006 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,
As you approach your first anniversary, I wanted to say thanks for giving us a glimpse into your new life. It is a world of difference from your last career. thanks again, ken chadwick

 
At September 13, 2006 9:48 AM, Blogger Officer Gary said...

Thanks, Ken.

You're right -I started the police academy on september 12, 2005 so yesterday was my anniversary. I told my wife I felt anxiety just thinking back to my first day there. It was very stressful but well worth it.

 
At September 14, 2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Redroach said...

Thanks for the laughs.
I may need to start an anonymous blog to relate some of the more fun parts of being a teacher.

Keep up the good work

 
At September 19, 2006 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is good you can find the humor in your job. That guy is lucky he didn't kill someone. Happy Anniversary. The Phoenix Police Dept is luck to have you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home