Wednesday, August 23, 2006

DUI Certified

I completed a day-long class today at Department of Public Safety headquarters and am now certified on the INTOXILYZER 8000. That's the name of the latest approved breath alcohol detection instrument. There's only one problem: my station is still using the Intoxilyzer-5000 which I am not certified to use. We have to be certified to use each an every piece of city equipment from digital cameras to pepper spray. There's even separate certification courses for collapsable metal batons and side-handled straight batons.

I'll be able to pull over intoxicated drivers and perform field-sobriety tests but I'll have to ask someone else to operate the breath alcohol machine (until the new machines are installed).


Here's a picture of a day's worth of seized driver licenses and license plates. All suspended and invalid license plates are destroyed and all suspended, revoked, and cancelled driver licenses are returned to MVD.

I handled a disturbing call of sexual abuse on a ten year old girl by her step father. The little girl bravely told me the terrible details of the numerous times she was abused while her mother was at work. She was afraid to tell anyone untile recently when he was sent to prison for an unrelated charge. He's going to be released from jail next month and the family is scared he will return. The girl and her little sister were fascinated by my Taser so I showed them how it sparked before I left. Then they asked me when I was going to catch the Baseline killer. I told them we were working on it and hopefully we'd catch him soon. All the girls could talk about was seeing me on T.V. shocking the Baseline killer with my Taser. I told them if that really happened I'd wave my Taser into the news camera for them. The little sister got really excited, started dancing around the apartment yelling, "I cain't wait to see you on T.V." Then she stopped and asked me, "What day will this be on -I want to tell my mom so we can record it."

4 Comments:

At August 23, 2006 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow your first "groupie"...let me know. too, "cause I"ll record it too.

 
At August 25, 2006 11:06 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

Aren't kids amazing? They take so much crap from adults sometimes and then they can hopefully turn around and be kids again.

Lets hope the stepfathers stays in jail for a little while longer.

 
At September 01, 2006 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. All that those little girls have gone through and still happy and excited about life. You are a good man as well as a good cop. I hope you were able to put that info in so that the jerk can stay longer in jail for what he did to that little girl. LC

 
At March 05, 2011 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little girls sound sooo cute! What a monster that stepfather is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home