Monday, August 07, 2006

Driver's Ed

In the past few months, I've responded to numerous traffic accidents. I'm amazed at how bad some people are at driving a car.

Then, while driving normal speed to a routine call, I crashed my police cruiser. This was my first (and hopefully last) traffic collision. I was turning left and somehow didn't see the car coming directly at me. He slammed into the rear passenger-side door of my patrol car causing me to spin 180 degrees. Luckily, neither of us where hurt. His Chevy Cavalier sustained quite a bit of front-end damage as he was going about 40 mph and didn't brake at all before the impact.

I had the embarassing pleasure of notifying the entire city over my police radio I had been involved in an accident and needed a supervisor to respond to the scene. My Sergeant and Lieutenant arrived to investigate. Several of my squadmates and other officers I don't know were sure to drive by to see the mess.

Here's the result of my precision driving:

It didn't take long for the hazing and ridicule to begin from my squadmates. I carried the nickname "Crash" for the rest of the night and was the target of many driving related comments and jokes.

4 Comments:

At August 07, 2006 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH NO.... thank God no one was hurt (except your pride that is). I am so sorry this happened. Hopefully your punishment won't be too bad.

Keep Safe, and remember, brake on yellow, stop on red.

Love ya,
Ronda

 
At August 07, 2006 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No scolding....Just remember, I like you for always, I love you forever, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be. (Guess Who)

 
At August 08, 2006 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crash,

Glad neither of you were hurt. A valuable, but embarrasing lesson. The good news is that you are probably an even more careful driver. LC

 
At August 12, 2006 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gary, enjoying your site from day 1, glad no injuries, remember there's a reason why they're called accidents. Nice words from Ronda, tell her at least it wasn't a big yellow school bus. Keep up the good work, we're very proud of you. Curtis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home