Monday, March 27, 2006

I wan't my mommy

As I entered my precinct station the other day, I was met by the wailing cry of, "I waaaaant my mommy" from the prisoner holding cell. I expected to see a young juvenile caught for some minor crime but was surprised to see a 30 year-old woman crying through the barred window. I felt a brief sense of sorrow for her until I caught her eye and she started yelling at me. "Hey Baldy!!!...Hey, Baldy!!...Why are all you guys bald???!!!...This woman was going crazy and as soon as I looked at her she started yelling at me to stop doing Meth. Then she started shouting to the entire station: "Stop doing Meth, Police." Then, a prisoner in the cell next to her told her to shut up and the two of them started a very heated argument through the wall. Being a rookie, I was very entertained by the antics. The other tenured officers however had little patience for this and mostly ignored it.



I'm still at the stage where I find crazy people and drunks interesting to talk to. My fellow rookies and I will frequently hold long conversations with them while our training officers look on with disinterest. I guess several years of hearing the same questions, complaints, and confessions from the intoxicated has created a bit of apathy.

I'm in the second phase of my training now and have a new trainer. He, too, is NFL linebacker sized which leads me to believe that my sergeant is trying to make me look small (or that he thinks I need a bodyguard while out on patrol). We've been handling routine calls (traffic, suspicious persons, fights, etc.) and haven't dealt with any major scenes yet. We did respond to what appeared to be a homicide since a man was lying on his back with a pool of blood coming from his skull but it turned out to be a heart attack victim that hit his head when he fell.

I'm still really enjoying myself and can't believe how fast a ten hour shift passes by each night. I have a few more weeks of training left before I'm on my own.

3 Comments:

At March 27, 2006 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how entertaining some of these criminals can be... especially to see in person. We get out kicks out of them each time we watch COPS.

Keep Safe...
Ronda,Doug, and Emmy

 
At March 27, 2006 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. That Meth is bad stuff, when will folks learn. Howie

 
At March 28, 2006 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I got all flattered when I read your title.......I just assumed it was your comment, oh well, glad to hear that you haven't been in any "perilious" situations. Keep safe. Mommy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home