Friday, February 17, 2006

Drive Time

Yesterday was my first day behind the wheel of a police cruiser. I started off by rear-ending another patrol car as we lined up for refueling. I forgot to take into consideration the extra 18 inches of push-bar at the front of the car (which is not visible from the driver's seat). Luckily, I was only going about 1 mph and didn't cause any damage but what a great way to show off my driving skills to my training officer.

I got a taste of just how much access we have into people's private lives. Here's a tip: if you have any embarassing items, put them somewhere out of view -you never know when the police may need to conduct a 'protective sweep' of your residence to ensure no bad guys are hiding. Yesterday, we conducted this kind of sweep in an apartment where a felon was known to be living. As we entered the master bathroom, I upon a large collection of various 'adult' items. It was more than I wanted to see but that's what happens when you're not discreet.

Later, we got a 911 call from an old man that said he was in trouble. When we arrived, it was obvious that he lived in a nursing home. We found him in the Alzheimers section of the facility. He was disoriented and couldn't remember where he was or why he called the police. He was clearly confused but did not need any help from the police.

4 Comments:

At February 17, 2006 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you driving for the whole shift, or did your FTO take over? Keep up the good work...you're doin' us proud. Love, Mom

 
At February 17, 2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's me again....I was just wondering if you may have seen a stray 2002 Dodge Intrepid with a GAMMMA plate, I can't find mine. Some "Adam Henry" stole it. Find it, please.

 
At February 17, 2006 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many things come to mind. Woody Allen had a problem hiding things(ETIKASBWATA). Can Starving students or 2 guys and truck remove my stuff ?

 
At February 21, 2006 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe all that you have seen so far. You probably told me and I don't remember but how many officers do they have on the Phoenix Police Force? It is good that you are enjoying it so much. It's enough to feel good about making a difference in the community but it also helps when your working and the time just zooms by. Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home