Sunday, February 12, 2006

Polyester is Flammable

They warned us during the academy to stay away from open flames while wearing the polyester uniforms. I learned about this first hand last week while performing traffic duty for a bad car accident. Several cars where involved in a rollover wreck on 7th street north of Indian School. My partner and I stopped all northbound traffic on 7th street with an elaborate pattern of road flares. After the accident was cleared, we had to extinguish the remaining flares that were burning. My partner showed me how to kick the flare to the curb and then press it into the sidewalk with a shoe to snuff out the flame. The first flare I kicked exploded and my legs were splattered with burning bits of flare innards. Dozens of small holes were burned in my pant leg making it look like the mesh material used for football jerseys. Lucky for me I was pretty close to home so I was able to stop there for a good pair.

I saw my first suicide victim last week. A depressed elderly man decided to end his painful bout with cancer by shooting himself with a small Deringer handgun. He was slumped over sideways in a lawnchair in the backyard and appeared to be asleep. The only noticeable sign of injury was a small trickle of blood coming from his nose. His next door neighbor was very upset as they had been friends for 30 years.

I was very close to being involved in the pursuit that ended in the officer being injured and the suspect killed last week. The call started in my beat area when a guy carjacked an SUV in the parking lot of Hot Shots Billiards (don't ever go there, by the way). A two-man unit was chasing them around our area about 1:00 a.m as I was getting ready to go home. The pursuit moved down to Tempe where an officer was shot in the leg as he threw out some stop sticks. My partner and I jumped back into our patrol car and started heading to Tempe. Just then, we were notified that the suspect was down and that no other units were to arrive at the scene. Since most of my squad was involved in the chase and were now stuck in Tempe, my partner and I stayed on until 3:00 taking all of the calls in our area.

I can't believe how quickly each shift passes. My 10-hour shift is over in no time (even when I stay on for an hour or so for overtime). I've got so much to learn still but am having the time of my life. Even the 'boring' nights are fun and I can't wait for each new thing we come across.

6 Comments:

At February 12, 2006 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gary, Well, I guess luck is on your side...you didn't get burned, did you? Glad to hear that you're lovin' your job. Be careful Love Mom

 
At February 12, 2006 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you had time to watch the tape I made of your graduation? I did the best I could but that little camera sometimes became "heavy" thus the shakey picture at times. You look pretty sharp in the picture of your first day going to work. If you were wearing a Sheriff's uniform people might think you are me. Good Luck and God Bless on the job. I thought you were working Maryvale district, but glad to see you are near the old home stomping grounds. Keep your mind 10-6 at all times, don't over do it on code 7 at Taco Bell. Sounds like you have a great FTO. Always do exactly what he says. We love you. Hugs and love to Vicki and the girls. Dad and Sharon

 
At February 13, 2006 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you get cotton or a wool blend. Nice blog. Have a nice evening, Howard and Molly

 
At February 14, 2006 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,

Didn't realize the blog was still ongoing. Please take care of yourself. Loving your job is a wonderful asset. I hope you always feel that way. And, get rid of that polyester. LC

 
At February 14, 2006 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have finally gotten a chance to get caught up on these blogs. Very interesting and I feel safe that you are protecting my area.

-----Tony B.

 
At February 16, 2012 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What area are you from? I'm from Texas. Just curious....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home