Monday, May 12, 2008

You threatening me?

My second week of training has come and gone. This time, my Officer in Training was evaluated every day on his performance. He is learning quickly but will need to spend some time improving his 'officer presence.' It's not easy to issue commands to strangers (especially when you're 21 and the big, mean 45 year old responds with "What for!!??") I'll be working on boosting his confidence and assertiveness this week.

One of the calls we received was from a frantic woman. She came home to find a threatening message and was fearful for her safety. She directed us to a piece of palm tree bark lying on the ground of her front yard. How would you react if you found this terrifying omen in your yard:

She then explained a tree in her backyard fell down taking a power line with it. There was no damage to anyone else's property but she was convinced the neighbors were upset about the utility company fixing the power lines in her yard. She was certain the coming and going of utility vans were threatening her very existence.

I did my best to assure her people are not typically killed for having electrical workers in their own backyard. I pointed out most assassins are decent spellers and prefer to use more conventional media types than palm trees.

8 Comments:

At May 12, 2008 1:12 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

While I think getting something like that might be a bit disconcerting, I don't think I'd take it too seriously.

 
At May 12, 2008 8:06 PM, Blogger SFC B said...

Maybe it was someone trying to be helpful by pointing out that downed power lines are danjerus.

 
At May 12, 2008 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... if you were someone who still hasn't grown up and realized that any of us can be snuffed at any minute, I can see someone being utterly terrified at receiving that message. So... what, 60 percent of the population? All the people that want the government to take care of them and pass laws restricting what others do so they can 'feel safe', and believe that no one is doing those 'evil banned' things and a certain percentage of the rest?

Now, if you were someone who had a reasonable grasp on reality, understood the cold, hard, facts of life, and took responsibility for your own safety AND protection, realizing that 95% of the time an officer will only arrive on scene after an incident is over and done with then... well, I don't see it causing too much of a stir. Unfortunately I would peg this at, what, 10% of the population, with the rest falling somewhere in-between.

Oh well.

 
At May 13, 2008 5:12 AM, Blogger Volunteer said...

Wow, I'm sure glad we don't have any palm trees around here!

Sounds like she's a victim of the "Eternal Sunshine of the Southern Mind". Well done. Keep up the good work.

 
At May 13, 2008 6:49 AM, Blogger Jennifer Carter said...

Poor woman...

 
At May 13, 2008 9:37 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

Okay, it ws me.
I sent that damn message to her via messenger pelican.

YES, i cannot spell.
Damned paranoid old woman.

TV

 
At May 13, 2008 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. That's the gp for ya. Found you through Disfunctionalcity911 (Angie)...come on over and visit anytime! I've added you to the ol' blogroll.

 
At May 18, 2008 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay safe! The good guys got to win!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home