Sunday, May 04, 2008

Rookie Week

One down and five to go.

I just finished "free week" with my trainee. The first week designed to let the OIT get accustomed to the job without having the pressure of being graded or evaluated. I tried to cram as much information into his head as I could without overwhelming him. The next five weeks I will be completing a daily evaluation of his performance. If successful, he'll move on to the next phase of training with a different Field Training Officer. My first priority was making sure he stopped calling me, "Sir."

I tried to explain we were both officers and to please call me by my first name. He did his best but the the police academy regiment kicked in a few times as he addressed me as 'Sir' or 'Officer.'

He's a young, athletic kid with a wholesome look and bit of naivete. He has a solid knowledge of radio codes and street locations but lacks the presence, confidence, and control of a seasoned officer. Hopefully, this will improve over time. I can't remember how I felt during my first week as an Officer in Training but I wouldn't be surprised to hear I too, was a nervous timid little spaz. His biggest obstacle so far is spelling.

I know, spelling is not exactly the top priority when bullets are whizzing past you but it is important to be able to document things accurately. I have a feeling 'spell check' software will be my OIT's most trusted companion.

Our first week together was pretty active. We made several arrests for warrants, shoplifting, and aggravated DUI. It was a productive week that seemed to fly by in no time. In short I'd sum up my first week as an FTO as, "so far, so good."

6 Comments:

At May 04, 2008 12:47 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Glad to hear that the first week went well.

And hey, there is nothing wrong with spell check being a good friend.

 
At May 06, 2008 10:52 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

Confidence will come with experience.
Either that or he will get eaten by a pack of pitbulls.

TV

 
At May 06, 2008 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish we had a Free Week. We jump in and they shut down.

 
At May 08, 2008 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just started my second phase, i dont feel like im ready to move from 1st phase, but my FTO and LT say Im doing great... my first night on 2nd Phase I arrested a man who murdered his wife, I had US marshals with me, and of course my FTO, the big thing I noticed is that I was placed as the decision maker during the takedown, I know that my FTO would have taken over if needed but still, the excitement and anxiety was almost overwhelming. But it went well, we got the guy and a confession. My FTO said I did an excellent job, so thats good. And Yeah I wish I had a free week, my first day my FTO threw the keys at me and said "Lets go" lol.

 
At May 09, 2008 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Franklin sells a "pocket speller" at Staples, CVS, and other stores. This may be a useful tool for this Officer.

Nice blog by the way Officer Gary. Keep up the good work !!!

 
At May 12, 2008 1:07 PM, Blogger *Goddess* said...

Must be a good feeling for you, though, to be placed in a position to pass on your knowledge to someone new. I'm sure it helps them that you're "new" enough to the job to remember what your training period was like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home