Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Scared Straight

In the phrase, "to protect and to serve", it's the 'protection' part that most people think of when they see a police officer. But sometimes, we have the opportunity to serve the community in meaningful, inspiring, and honorable ways.

Last week was not one of those times.

What started as a minor noise disturbance in an upscale neighborhood ended with much more.

I backed up another officer responding to an incessantly barking dog. When I arrived, a neighbor with keys to the dog owner's house came over and put the dog inside. This neighbor, however, had locked herself out of her own house and was trying for the past few hours to get in. She had two little boys with her about 5 and 3 years old. The 5 year old was still wearing his Superman pajamas and stared at me with wide admiring eyes while I worked on prying open a screen from a backyard window.

His mother explained how he was fascinated by police officers and so I did my best to include him in the 'rescue' operation. I could tell he was excited to have a police officer in his own backyard as he stayed right next to me the whole time.

After removing the screen, he was hoisted through the open window. He walked over to the door and unlocked it to the cheers of mom, me and my fellow officer. He felt the hero that day and I was happy to play my part.

The family went into the house so I let myself out of the backyard through a side gate. I got in my patrol and cleared the call from my computer. As I started to pull away from the curb, I saw little Superman standing in his driveway by himself preparing to send me off with a wave and a proud smile.

I know how much kids love the sweeping red and blue overhead lights so I reached for the switch to make my exit a memorable one. In true retard fashion, I accidentally pressed a second switch that controls the siren. As the ear-piercing whail of a full siren blasted the neighborhood, the boy nearly jumped out of his pajamas and, terrified, bolted for the front door in an all out panic. I turned off the control to the lights but the siren was still blaring as I fumbled for the secondary switch while trying to make my getaway.

I can only imagine the emotional trauma inflicted on the little man of steel.

11 Comments:

At April 04, 2007 9:17 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

You are a bad man Officer Gary. That kid is going to grow up to be a serial killer all from getting a dose of the old siren from you.

I am laughing my ass off. I bet that little boy freaked out in the worst way.

Way to go.
Score one for law enforcement.
That is funnier than the kid I

 
At April 04, 2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Craig D said...

You are indeed in touch with your inner Barney Fife!

 
At April 05, 2007 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Good Job Bubba!!

 
At April 05, 2007 2:48 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

LMAO! I don't know if I feel worse for you or the kid.

 
At April 07, 2007 9:00 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Great job, right up to the siren blast. One time I let a kid ride in the front seat with me and let him play with the lights and siren. Since we were arresting his daddy on a murder warrant I wanted to instill the impression we're not the bad guys.

 
At April 07, 2007 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL I have been reading your blog for a while now and this entry had me laughing so hard my sides hurt. I finally had to leave a comment and say thanks for the laughs. You always write in such a way that I can just picture the scene perfectly. Thanks for sharing this hilariously entertaining story Gary.

Stay safe! :)

 
At April 09, 2007 12:13 PM, Blogger OMH said...

Are you kidding? By the time the boy tells his friends about it you will look like you flew in Sirens Blaring to SAVE THE DAY!

(But I know what you mean - you try to be AWESOME and some how end up AWFUL............better luck next time!)

 
At April 14, 2007 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love little kids. They are so honest and you can still trust most of them. 1 time you can actually let your guard down a little.

 
At April 17, 2007 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After he got over it, her probably was very excited and when his hearing returned, he probably was able to answer questions!

 
At April 19, 2007 5:21 PM, Blogger Justin Rhodes said...

Love the blog! I was in stitches after reading this entry. Bravo.

 
At December 29, 2007 2:14 PM, Blogger Christine said...

I have laughing cramps because of this story.

You've got yourself a new dedicated reader.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home