Monday, March 26, 2007

Crash 2

I've experienced my second patrol-car collision in a year.

This time, I was not the driver. I was riding as passenger in a two-man unit when an urgent call for help was put out on the radio by a squadmate. He was surrounded by a hostile group of people and needed help ASAP. He was in obvious distress and we were close by. These situations can turn deadly in a heartbeat and invoked a sense of urgency for my partner and me.

The only problem was we didn't know where he was. Every time he tried to announce his location over the radio, the background noise drowned out his voice. We knew we were within a block or so of him so we raced up and down the streets looking for his patrol car.

Finally, he was able to clearly provide his location inside the courtyard of a nearby apartment complex. We could hear the panic in his voice and imagined the worse. We drove down the street and turned into the parking lot of the complex. Our patrol car turned too wide and collided into a parked car. We immediately jumped out and ran through the complex looking for our squadmate. It was dark as we ran through the various twists and turns inside the complex. We found our squadmate kneeling on an arrested subject with dozens of angry family members shouting and threatening.

Nobody was injured and several other units arrived to control the scene. It was the longest two minutes of my life hearing our fellow officer in trouble while we tried frantically to find him.

5 Comments:

At March 26, 2007 5:57 PM, Blogger DirkStar said...

Dude, have you considered giving up police work and entering NASCAR?

Uh, I think there may be something wrong with my eyes...

Could you come and take a look?

 
At March 26, 2007 6:03 PM, Blogger Illinois Guy said...

That's good that you found your officer in time before anything got out of hand..
Too bad about the car.. how bad was the accident?

Stay safe, Keep posting!

-Illinois Guy-

 
At March 29, 2007 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Officer Gary, I'm a fairly new reader of your blog. When I first started reading, I became an instant fan, haha.. Keep up the great work, yo =)

 
At March 29, 2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Redroach said...

Man radios suck.
We use hand held's in my school and I hate nothing more than trying to locate an administrator who needs help when you can't hear them.

Not as dangerous as your situation, but I understand your frustration and worry.

Show us crash photos, please....

 
At April 02, 2007 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate being seconds or minutes away and hearing a partner asking for help. It kills me not being able to get there any faster. On the other side of the coin. There is nothing better to hear then the sirens getting closer and closer.

I remember a ride along I had one night. We drove with lights and sirens to all sorts of calls. I don't get to do that normally. We were driving on the wrong sides of the road, at more than 60 mph, through a strip club parking lot with only inches to spare between cars and right into the felony stop of a stolen vehicle. Fun times.

Heck I remember hitting a stop sign at 100mph while chasing a stolen car. Nothing better then safely driving fast, nothing worse than hearing a buddy ask for help and being too far away to do anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home