Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Crazy

Here's a small gun I found on a routine pat-down of a guy stopped for having a suspended license plate. It's shown next to my papermate pen to give you an idea of the scale. It was loaded with five .22 caliber German subsonic bullets. The guy was cooperative and told me the gun was in his pocket but this is always a reminder of how small and easily concealable some weapons are.

A neighboring precinct was backed up with calls so I volunterred to go over and help out. The area has a reputation for being very 'active' and didn't disappoint. There were shootings, foot pursuits, robberies, assaults, and stolen vehicles all night long. The hours flew by as I raced from one hot call to another. Like I've said before: Time flies when you're having gun.

I met up for dinner with two academy classmates who work the area. They tried talking me into transferring to their precinct but I'm happy where I'm at. There's a large hispanic population in that area and I don't know how they can do their job without speaking Spanish. They raved about the non stop action but later admitted to getting burned out.

Last week a crazy guy believing himself to be God decided he needed to cleanse the Earth of Mother Theresa. He forced his way into his 65 year old neighbor's house (named Theresa) and attacked her. She tried to defend herself with a kitchen knife and cut up his hands pretty severly. Is wasn't enough for the psycho, though, as he beat her to the ground and then stomped her to death with his bare feet. He was a bloody mess when police arrived but was calm and content he had acted with holy grace. I've never understood the seemingly frequent connection between crazy people and religion (especially when the outcome is violent).

12 Comments:

At February 21, 2007 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am surprised we still have the language problem in AZ.....didn't the learned members of the AZ State Legislature make English the offical language of our state?

Love the blog - Keep up the good work Gary!

 
At February 22, 2007 1:33 PM, Blogger Redroach said...

Okay, I thought the bozo with kidney stones that HPD tasered was weird enough, but stomping an old women to death in the name of God is just plain wrong.

Hope he knows there a special place in hell for him, if not the state pen.

TV

 
At February 22, 2007 6:10 PM, Blogger Silviaeny said...

Was it the first time the guy pulled one like that? How come such a bad EDP was living by himself? What was he diagnosed with? squizofrenia? What a psycho my god.

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm just a naive APO.

 
At February 22, 2007 6:54 PM, Blogger Forrest Proper said...

A gun smaller than a pen? That's pretty scary, or I think it would be if I were a police officer. I even think it's scary as a civilian in a traditionally anti-gun state.

A few years ago they had a special on History Channel (probably) on training tapes they use for the police, about when to use a gun and when not to- one featured a distraut woman coming out of an apartment building crying- and then, in a split second, she draws a gun and shoots.

I have always respected law enforcement officers, but my respect went up a notch on that one. If that had been me, I'd have been dead. You people do a great job, and we all thank you.

 
At February 22, 2007 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone is using my ss number with a different name what should I do?
I live in your state?

 
At February 24, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Officer Gary said...

silvia,
the guy that stomped his neighbor had no criminal history and no known prior violence. He appeared to have just 'snapped'.

tbear123,
try accessing your state's website and searching for ID theft.

 
At February 24, 2007 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you I called the police dept but no one called back they had a lot going on the last few days

 
At February 24, 2007 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally found what I need thank you

 
At February 26, 2007 10:05 AM, Blogger Max and Me said...

oh my god what a horrible story. i am going to be thinking about that one for a long time to come..

 
At February 28, 2007 2:26 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

so what are your views on concealed carry?

 
At February 28, 2007 9:35 AM, Blogger Officer Gary said...

Aileen -
I'm for carrying concealed guns as long as its legallaly done by RESPONSIBLE people. You become a target when carrying a gun so one must be willing to assume the extra risk. If you're not sure when it's legal to use deadly force; be careful. A citizen who kills another could face murder charges (and civil lawsuits) if the shooting was not justified. There's also a good chance of your own weapon being used against you. If your going to carry a concealed gun please know how and when to use it.

 
At February 28, 2007 10:32 AM, Blogger Ripple said...

I think more people should carry rifles instead. They are way cooler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home