Sunday, September 14, 2008

Empty Nest

My second trainee has finished his first phase of training and is on to his secondary Field Training Officer. I can't believe how quickly the past 6 weeks flew by. It seems like I just met him yesterday. He is an interesting guy with a very unusual past.

He grew up in Bosnia during the war and lost several family members along with most of his childhood possessions. He told me there are only two pictures of himself as a baby that survived the war. He moved to America 7 years ago and quickly set off to become a citizen. After learning English (with remarkable spelling, I might add), he became an official U.S. citizen and instantly applied for the police department.

His rugged upbringing gives him a great appreciation of how things are in America. He constantly told me about the corruption, shortages, lack of opportunity, and sense of hopelessness he experienced in Bosnia. He is grateful for the American troops that helped liberate his town from enemy forces.

He is respectable, kind, smart, and honorable. I know he'll make a great officer.

12 Comments:

At September 15, 2008 11:06 AM, Blogger Merr-peng said...

Wow... that's real cool..

 
At September 15, 2008 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post Gary. Hope you are well. Howard

 
At September 16, 2008 3:27 PM, Blogger Bridget the Flogging Molly Chick said...

Great story! The US could use more like him.

 
At September 17, 2008 7:19 AM, Blogger Redroach said...

He is the kind of people that make America Great. He will be a great cop because he knows what bad shit happens when people turn wrong.

Good luck on the training

TV

 
At September 17, 2008 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does he have "remarkable" spelling, or "unremarkable" spelling?

 
At September 17, 2008 10:44 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Sounds like a great guy. I'm sure he'll make a wonderful police officer.

 
At October 13, 2008 11:45 PM, Blogger Tenderfoot said...

Funny, he should tell some of our elected representatives the folly of their direction.

 
At October 20, 2008 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love following law and police blogs. I just found this blog, thought you might find it interesting.
http://jurorx.blogspot.com/

 
At November 03, 2008 11:14 PM, Blogger Justin Rhodes said...

Hi Gary,

Love the stories! When are you going to post another one?

 
At November 05, 2008 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary - I'm about half-way done reading your blog.

Thank you for taking the time to write all of those posts. I'm seriously considering a career change (at 35,) I guess like you did, and I'm probably going to go into law enforcement as well. This is giving me a good insight into what it is like to do this job day in and day out.

I have a ride along scheduled in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to it.

I hope you keep posting as time permits.

 
At November 06, 2008 1:56 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Where is Gary it's been almost two months.

 
At November 07, 2008 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I loved reading his posts :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home