Thursday, January 24, 2008

That's professor-officer gary to you, pal

I know I haven't been posting very frequently on my blog lately but I've vowed to make a better effort. I was sent to a hospital last week to check up on some painters who fell off a high scaffolding unit. One of the workers was okay but the other was in critical condition and not expected to live. After the detective arrived to take over, I swung by my old employer to check in on my fellow ex-coworkers.

I had not been back to the corporate cubicle world for over two years but it seemed just like yesterday when I walked in. I think they were shocked to see me drop in unexpectantly in my uniform. I received a very warm welcome and felt a bit nostalgic. Many of them mentioned their appreciation for my blog and asked why I hadn't updated it lately. I guess I'm getting used to the job cause most of my nights seem unworthy of a blog entry. My wife and friends, however, still seem anxious to hear my stories (even the ones I think are boring).

With this boost of encouragement from my former coworkers, I'll make a better effort to update the blog more regularly.

GENERAL INSTRUCTOR
My two year anniversary from academy graduation arrived and I was finally able to take the state certified 'General Instructor' course. This 40 hour course is required in order to teach the multitude of specialized courses to others (like firearms, driving, defensive tactics, etc.)

The class was made up mostly of officers from different agencies with a few civilians. We were required to get up in front of the class and give a 2 minute impromptu speech about ourselves. Most of us did okay but a few speakers were terrified. It's ironic we've entered a career steeped with moments of terror, panic, and fear and willingly run TOWARDS gunfire but have trouble talking in front of 15 peers.

The class gradually built up our speaking abilities and climaxed with a 20 minute presentation on the final day. I used my prior knowledge of finance to talk about participating in our employer retirement plan. I think I successfully scared enough of them into signing up for the plan later that day.

I felt sorry for the instructor as he had to listen to presentation after presentation of motorcycles, ATV's, guns, ammunition, and fishing. He's been doing this for about 15 years and must have heard these topics a million times.

Now that I've completed the class, I'm certified to teach at the academy. It's hard to believe I'm eligible to be an instructor at the same academy I feel like I just left.

10 Comments:

At January 25, 2008 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gary - Just wanted to let you know I read your blog as well and it's great to hear your stories and know that you're doing well. I obviously couldn't tell you in person since I'm back here in PA but wanted you to know that I appreciate that you take the time to share your stories. When you stopped in were you ready to sit down and start calling your old clients asking for wires???

 
At January 25, 2008 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Gary. You sure make a Mother proud. Please stay safe and keep up the good work.

 
At January 25, 2008 1:31 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Officer Gary, I've been reading your blog since a friend told me about it about a year ago or so, so please forgive this solicitation. I used to teach public speaking at ASU, and often had police officers in my classes who were Justice Studies majors. Working at United Blood Services, I also coached several officers wounded in the line of duty so they could give testimonial speeches to motivate people to donate. So now I'm doing my own presentation and public speaking consulting. If you think the academy needs someone to help in this area, I'd love to talk. Thanks. davestempien@yahoo.com

 
At January 25, 2008 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally...

You KNOW how bored I get at work.

 
At January 25, 2008 7:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am working for the State Government and I know many officers and troopers who are working with us on various issues.

To become an officer requires alot of knowledge that most lawyers don't even care to think about.

I respect and admire what you and other officers around the world.

I am a fairly new reader so I am catching on.

Have a good weekend.

Jim

 
At January 26, 2008 2:33 PM, Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Congratulations!

You should be proud. It seems that you have done a lot for yourself career-wise oiver the past year.

 
At January 27, 2008 12:20 AM, Blogger Officer "Smith" said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 27, 2008 12:21 AM, Blogger Officer "Smith" said...

Two of our RTO's (Recruit Training Officers) in my academy had never even been on patrol. They did their two years in the jail and went straight to the RTO spot.

How can someone who's neve done police work, expect to teach recruits about doing police work. It boggles the mind.

At least you have some experience to base your teaching upon. Good job!

 
At January 28, 2008 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe you would like to take over my training company upon my retirement. I know you will be an excellent instructor for the academy. You will also make a great detective. Whatever your decision, you will be great. LC

 
At January 28, 2008 10:24 PM, Blogger DirkStar said...

Congratulations!

Nice post.

You didn't leave me bummed out for a change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home