Thursday, January 05, 2006

Traffic Duty

Wednesday was our final day on the shooting range. This was to determine our day-time shooting qualification. The minimum score needed is a 210 (with 250 being perfect). I shot a 245 which is good enough for 'expert' designation by my department.

After the qualification, our entire class participated in a speed shooting contest. We shot at six metal plates (eight inches in diameter) along a rail from about 25 feet away. We had to use two magazines with a total of six bullets so this meant a mandatory reload during the middle of the drill. With only six bullets and six targets, there was no room for misses. Two recruits shot at a time with the winner being the one to hit the most number of plates in the shortest amount of time. In the first round, I hit five plates (one didn't fall down when hit so I had to shoot it a second time). I finished quickly but my competitor took her time and hit all six plates. I was sent to the loser's bracket since this was a double-elimination competition. I worked my way to the top of the loser's bracket and made it to the final round of the day (against the winner of the winner's bracket). We both hit five plates but my competitor did it in less time. So, I got second place.

Today (Thursday), we practiced directing traffic. At 7th street and Southern, an officer turned all of the intersection lights to blink red. Then we all took turns standing in the middle of the intersection directing traffic. I was the only one in my group to use my whistle but I was glad I did. I enjoyed standing in the center of the intersection blowing the whistle, pointing at drivers, and directing them where to go.

After traffic duty, we returned to the academy for our third and final fitness evaluation. This is comprised of a 300 meter dash, pushups until exhaustion, number of situps in one minute, vertical jump, a short agility drill (running through cones), and a 1.5 mile run. Our class has not been running very much in the last several weeks since most of our time was spent on shooting, driving, and practical field problems. Our lack of running showed, today, as everyone's time dropped from the last time we ran. I improved on all of the events except the 1.5 mile run (I ran a 6:56 pace today and a 6:26 pace last time). I think I did well enough to be near the top of the physical fitness ranking in the class (I was tied for 3rd going into today).

Only six more business days until graduation. I can't believe how quickly time has gone by and can't wait to start my actual duty. I found out my patrol area will be in the Squaw Peak district which was my first choice. This is centered around the Biltmore area but stretches from I-17 to 68th street between Thomas and Dunlap. I don't know exactly where my beat will be within this area but am glad to get this assingment.

5 Comments:

At January 05, 2006 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Gary, it must feel really great to have "made it". We are so looking forward to the 13th...I'll try to retain some composure...but no promises. I sure wish your Grandma and Ray could share in all this. You know we love you and we're PROUD AS HELL.....Mom & Curtis

 
At January 06, 2006 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH..... I am so excited for next Friday. I can hardly wait. We are all so proud of you.

Ronda, Doug, and Emmy

 
At January 06, 2006 3:09 PM, Blogger Vicki Stockton said...

Gamma...
You mean, maintain your composure like you did at our wedding??? I'll bring the tissues.

 
At January 12, 2006 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Can not make Friday. Nice work. Howard and Molly

 
At January 14, 2006 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Gary. Your accomplishments are to be proud of. Speaking at the graduation and getting two awards speaks volumes about your commitment, intelligence and capabilities. We are very proud of you. The police department needs more like you. LC and BC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home