Sunday, May 28, 2006

Take the Baby Shopping

I responded to a shoplifting in progress last night at Mervyn's on 20th st and Camelback. A 26 year old man was pushing a baby stroller with his 10 month old son through the store. He was hiding merchandise in bags in the stroller (felony #1 -using an artiface to shoplift). He took over $250 worth of men's, baby's, and women's clothing (felong #2 -shoplifting). He then fled the store and ran to a nearby restaurant right as I drove up to it. I saw him standing at the front counter so I went into the store and grabbed him. A few of my squad mates showed up and he immediately confessed to stealing. I then searched him and found a rock of crack in his pocket (felony #3 -possession of dangerous drugs). We then found a crack pipe in the diaper bag (felony #4 -possession of drug paraphernalia). I then confirmed he had two other misdemeanor warrants outstanding for forgery and failure to appear.

He went to jail and the baby went to CPS since he couldn't remember his address or telephone number.

I received my first complaint last night after a totally drunk man called to report a threat. The drunk man's friend has a 15 year old daughter dating a 17 year old boy. He doesn't like the 17 year old and told him to stop dating the girl. The boy responded by getting mad and telling him on the phone, "I'm gonna f*** you up if you don't stay out of my business." I took a report but was unable to make any arrests since it was one person's word against another's. The drunk guy wanted me to immediately arrest the boy for threats. I told him he needed to get an order of protection against the boy if he felt threatened but he didn't like that option. After I left, he called my supervisor to complain that I didn't arrest the boy. My sergeant called the complainant and was unable to have a coherent conversation with the totally drunk guy.

3 Comments:

At May 28, 2006 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where was the baby's Mother? Wouldn't he tell you her name? That must be very sad to have to turn a baby over to strangers. I guess he's safer in foster care. Good going, Gary

 
At June 03, 2006 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are way too many sick people in this world. That poor baby...

 
At February 11, 2008 4:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just prefer sitting at home and shop online at One Step Ahead with coupons for my kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home