Wednesday, May 03, 2006

CSI Night

I responded to a shooting call last night and was the first one there. A man driving his car was passed by another that shot through his windshield and hit him in the upper arm. His shirt sleeve was soaked in blood but he was relatively calm.

He was transported to the hospital and was realesed a short time later. After taking photos of the car, I had my first CSI moment when I noticed a small hole in the driver's seat headrest. I put on a pair of gloves and retreived the flattened bullet from inside the headrest. It missed the driver's head by only a few inches.

I also responded to a bank robbery and stood by while the detectives and crime scene technician processed the scene for evidence. My role was to make sure no customers crossed the police tape line and contaminated the door or teller window. This wasn't the most exciting assignment but it still counts as CSI work.

I transported a mentally ill 25 year old guy that asked me the following questions on the way to the health center:
"Do you still make those beer brats, sir?"
"Did you know my friend just called me 'juice'?"
"Officer; do you mind if I sing and sleep?"

He also asked, "How are you doing?" about 15 times on the way there (each time like it was the first time we met).

I also me the classic "cat lady" last night living in a run down trailer with about 25 cats. There were huge pans of water and catfood on her deck and the smell of animal urine was almost unbearable. Of course, she was very chatty and wanted to talk for hours inside her ammonia-methane vapor trailer.

I just found out my new assigment starting next week. I'll be working 2nd shift (2:00pm to midnight) with Mon-Tue-Wed off. My beat will be the east part of the city somewhere between. I was lucky not to be sent to 3rd shift (graveyards).

2 Comments:

At May 03, 2006 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new shift and area sound like a pretty good deal. Hope you don"t run into too many old neighbors. Keep our streets safe(and yourself).

 
At May 14, 2006 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are very excited about your new shift. Too bad you don't have the weekends off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home