Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Stomach Flu and a Beating, Too

After a restless night of making sure my daughter's throw-up landed in the bedside bucket, I awoke early to the sounds of my wife also purging and dry-heaving. By 0400, I too, began to feel the onset of the stomach flu. I contemplated 'calling in sick' several times but knew I would be missing an important day at the academy.

I decided to tough it out and see how far I could make it on 'Red Man Day.' I left my house at 0500 with an impending sense of doom. This is the day our defensive tactics instructors suit up in red pads and fight the recruits two on one (that's two instructors and one recruit). The fight was only a minute long but felt like an eternity due to my diminished lung capacity complete exhaustion. I think I managed to hit them with a few good strikes but these were nothing compared to the barrage of punches I absorbed. I wasn't knocked down but was overcome by the relentless pounding.

After this near-death experience, I had to run out of the room into the desert and release what little contents I had in my stomach.

I thought the day was over but then learned that we would be practicing a domestic violence scenario acted out by the same instructors. The scene was two brothers fighting one another. As my partner and I tried to apprehend one brother, the other attacked and the fight was on again. We were both knocked to the ground and I was quickly struggling for my gun as the bad guy and I wrestled. After several minutes of ground fighting, we were finally able to arrest both brothers.

My long day has now ended and I am hoping to get to bed early. Tomorrow is the first day of field problems where we are graded on different scenarios ranging from administering DUI tests, to civil disputes, to felony crimes in progress.

5 Comments:

At December 14, 2005 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe what all you recruits go through. I never had any idea. And to have the stomach flu at the same time you are being pounded on. This has to be one of the most intense days of your training. All of you people certainly have my respect. Keep up the good work. BC

 
At December 14, 2005 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, I'm glad to hear that day is over, any more horrors ahead? rest up and keep on fighting. Love ya Mom

 
At December 15, 2005 11:50 AM, Blogger Vicki Stockton said...

I am amazed at my hubby's dedication! I couldn't leave the couch let alone be pounded on all day. It was a dark day in the Stockton house to say the least, but, Heinzy, you toughed it out like a real pro!

Wanna make out later?

 
At December 15, 2005 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Bubba,
I cannot even go to work and sit at my desk all day with the stomach flu, let alone get the crap beaten out of me. You sure know how to suceed in all you do, this is the proof. Keep it up.

Ronda, Doung, and Emmy

 
At December 18, 2005 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it is a good thing that this wasn't the same day the 210 lb guy sat on your stomach! - Could have been more than gas! That should get even the worse criminal off you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home